[Greenbuilding] small in line heat pump

Alan Abrams alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
Fri Mar 23 08:21:22 CDT 2012

> I guess in general the IDEA of a good HRV ducted into the return of a
> modulating heat pump is excellent, exactly what many people want and need.
> But the actual products we have available are far less than perfect and
> hence other arrangements are usually less expensive and high performing.
>
> John-
thanks for the assessment and rules of thumb.  with regard to the diagram,
and assuming a NON in line ERV configuration--and if the building layout
makes it feasible--why not use the bathrooms (with undercut doors or
transfer grilles) as full time ERV stale air returns, with boost mode for
showering, and dump the ERV fresh air either adjacent to main unit return
grilles, or directly into the return trunk line.

that would seem to accomplish two things--one, to eliminate auxiliary bath
fans, and to recoup the heat--and two, to avoid a pressure balance issue
where the ERV fresh air competes with or backdrafts when the main system
air handler kicks on.  Or is the ERV in the diagram programmed to shut off
and dampen when the air handler is running?

-AA