[Greenbuilding] is it ever sensible to use PV to heat water?

Steven Tjiang steve at tjiang.org
Fri Mar 23 13:28:56 CDT 2012

+1 for simplicity

I located our heat pump water heaters in my unheated workspace.  I have
several months of temperature measurements down there.  It has never gone
below 55F in the winter. I know other climates may not be so lucky.
I use solar preheat with an ICS (Sun Earth Copperheart).  There are no
pumps, just a few valves.  The water heater is effectively off all summer.

Having said that I'd have to say that DIY may make an active solar thermal
system worthwhile but let's face it....this is not what most people do.

---- Steve (KZ6LSD)