[Greenbuilding] Flea control in dogs (Re: Off topic)

KTOT (g) ktottotc at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 14:41:43 CDT 2012

Just a few reminders/suggestions for when it arrives:

1. You will need to get your pets flea-free before starting the PetGuard. That is, if fleas or flea eggs, larvae, whatever are already on your pets, I’m not sure it’ll cause them to leave but it will prevent new ones from getting on your pets.

2. Also make sure your house is flea-free. When I started PetGuard (after having a VERY flea-invested dog to the point I couldn’t sit on any chairs in my house as they all had fleas as well—and my dog never went on any furniture), I sprinkled borax (20 Mule Team Borax, the laundry stuff) on all the carpets and furniture (I had covers on my chairs—I’m not sure if it’s bad for actual furniture fabric so you might want to test it first), left it for, I believe, a day or two (keeping my dog off it), then vacuumed it and any by-then-dead flea eggs. Since then (that was in the early 1980s) I’ve been completely flea free with various dogs, all rescue dogs and of various breeds. Also note with that first dog, every evening all the neighborhood people who had dogs met in the canyon to socialize and let our dogs run. After being on PetGuard, my dog still never got fleas even though he was playing pretty much daily with flea-infested dogs.

3. Remember it’ll take up to a few months for your pets to build up the immunity. Just follow the directions on the container and keep giving it to your dogs. My dogs have always loved it sprinkled on their food, but I cannot speak for cats.

4. Don’t overfeed any yeast product. Think about what brewers (not nutritional) yeast does to bread (expands, makes it rise). Just follow the directions. Occasionally I’ve accidently spilled a lot of extra in my dogs’ dishes. Not a big deal as I scoop out the extra that I can. That is, a little extra clearly doesn’t hurt them but I’d never give them an entire can all at once, for example.

Obviously there are no guarantees. I know people who pooh-pooh any yeast-garlic supplements for fleas, but my experience with PetGuard has been very positive.