[Greenbuilding] Flea control in dogs (Re: Off topic)

KTOT (g) ktottotc at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 18:21:33 CDT 2012

What do you mean by safe? It's far safer than any Frontline or similar type
chemical products to kill fleas. You will want to keep your dogs off the
carpet if possible after you sprinkle (sprinkle only--not pour!) borax until
you vacuum it up. And you will, as various sites note, want to discard the
vacuum bag after vacuuming up, but that's so the flea eggs, larvae, etc. are
totally removed from your house, not lying in your vacuum bag to reinfect
your house as some point. Borax is a laundry product (as 20 Mule Team Borax)
so clearly isn't harmful to touch, at least not to touch clothing, but you
would never want to put it directly on your pets and you don't want them
eating it off the carpet any more than you'd want them to eat other powdery
things you might put on your carpet to clean or deodorize it. That said,
bleach is also a laundry product and also one you want to respect when you
use it other than in a greatly diluted fashion.

In other words--used properly, it's one of the safest ways to rid fleas.
Some people suggest diatomaceous earth--you might want to look into that as
well. I've never tried it. Since my one-time use of borax a few decades ago
I've never had a flea in my house or on my dogs.