[Greenbuilding] (Hardwood Floor Sound Underlays and) PestManagement

Kenn Brown kenn2536 at centurylink.net
Sun May 6 11:46:32 CDT 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: greenbuilding-bounces at lists.bioenergylists.org
[mailto:greenbuilding-bounces at lists.bioenergylists.org] On Behalf Of RT
Sent: Friday, May 04, 2012 10:54 AM
To: greenbuilding at lists.bioenergylists.org
Subject: Re: [Greenbuilding] (Hardwood Floor Sound Underlays and)
PestManagement

rachel.scarano at scaranoarchitect.com

>  What have been people's experience with multi-family building pest
> control? Even eco-insecticides are still insecticides!

Assuming that the use of the term "insecticide" in the above is meant to
imply that insecticides are a Bad Thing for living things other than
insects ...

Boron in its various compounds (borax, boric acid, borates ) is very
useful in helping humans to control a surprisingly wide range of things
that humans don't find desirable to have in their lives ... Boron relieved
[Kenn Brown] my arthritis in about 8 years.

ie borate solution treatments for lumber (as described previously on this
list) and other cellulosic materials (as described on other lists like
Strawbale)  is effective as prevention against fungal decay and insect
attack and as a fire retardant ...Disodium octoborate tetrahydrate 1# per 10
gallons of water will cover on the average of 100 square feet floor space of
studs, rafters and joists  power sprayed with a tree spraying rig, go to
www.environmentsensitive.com u-tube, perborate) are safe enough to be used
as a mouth rinse to fight peridontal disease. ie boric acid used in minute
amounts (ie mixed into bait as described previously on this list )  is very
effective in killing entire colonies of ants and cockroaches  and yet is
safe enough to be used in dilute , borate, ...[Kenn Brown] four parts sugar
1 part borate  solutions as an eye wash to fight eye infections or just to
sooth eye irritations due to foreign material ... or as a vaginal douche
(Google) this one yourself if interested) .

Of course as with anything else (even water), if ingested in excessive
amounts it could eventually have deleterious health effects.

But as a means of controlling insect infestations in a house, we're
talking about an amount of boric acid powder small enough to fit onto the
wide end of one of those old-fashioned wooden toothpicks, mixed with a
small dab of some bait like molasses to yield a teardrop-sized baiting
station that when taken back to the colony by ants, will kill the queen
and subsequently the entire colony.[Kenn Brown]  spray floor, before
cabinets are installed, spray inside cabinets after cleaned, before dishes
put in.

The approach would be slightly different when dealing with cockroaches (ie
applied in a thin dusting which would get on the insects bodies as they
crawl over the treated area and subsequently ingested during preening) but
effective nevertheless if one believes what is written about it. (I have
no experience with the latter but have, with ants.)[Kenn Brown]  same

Awhile ago Sacie asked about pest control of another sort ... the
buck-toothed, furry critter sort and in particular how one might determine
their entry points into the building envelope.[Kenn Brown]  I don't know of
a bucktoothed insect, probably same.

I remember reading a recommendation for putting down a thin dusting of
white powder (perhaps on a length of board) and placing that board in
locations where it is suspected that the critters are finding entry.
Put the board down late at night before going to bed and then check for
footprints in the morning.
What to use as the white powder ? Maybe an odourless baby powder [Kenn
Brown] you can buy a borate dusting powder, probably hardware store, or
such-like ? ie something that is very fine but yet dense enough to not be
blown away by breezes.

How to kill the furry critters in a non-toxic way ?  A savvy farm wife in
Eastern Ontario near Eldorado once told me something about a plastic five
gallon pail with a board placed against it to provide a ramp for the
little critters to climb up in order to get into the pail which had some
liquid in the bottom I forget whether that liquid was just plain water or
stale beer .  I think
there was also another element involved ... something like bits of
something salty placed on the narrow board that would entice them to eat
and then requiring a drink afterwards, they'd go for the liquid at the
bottom of the pail.
But since the sides of the pail are too steep, tall and slippery to climb
back out, they are trapped and eventually drown.

I've seen a somewhat similar technique inadvertantly work on construction
sites to trap raccoons. Instead of the five gallon pail, a 200 litre
plastic barrel of the type used by masons to hold mortar mixing water, or
an empty dumpster.[Kenn Brown] I have a 55 gallon barrel  I am going to use
leftover table scraps with a coon that likes the underside of my house. No
habla liters
Thanks
[Kenn Brown] Kenn too
--
=== * ===
AOD257

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")