[Greenbuilding] Was PestManagement: Speaking in barrels

Sam Ewbank g.l.ewbank at gmail.com
Mon May 7 06:14:07 CDT 2012

>  a 200 litre
> plastic barrel of the type used by masons to hold mortar mixing water, or
> an empty dumpster.

> [Kenn Brown] I have a 55 gallon barrel  I am going to use
> leftover table scraps with a coon that likes the underside of my house. No
> habla liters

A US 55 gallon drum is the equivalent of the 210 liter barrel while the 200
litre barrel is typically, from my experience in SW Michigan, the
ubiquitous plastic barrel that you see used for everything from rain
barrels to swimming docks.

>From the Wikipedia:
The wooden oil barrel of the late 19th century is different from the
modern-day 55-gallon steel
drum<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drum_(container)> (known
as 210/200-litre/kg outside the USA; sometimes the 44-gallon drum in
Britain). The 42-US-gallon oil barrel is a unit of measure, and is no
longer a physical container used to transport crude oil, as most petroleum
is moved in pipelines <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipeline_transport> or oil
tankers <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_tanker>
And
A 55-gallon drum (known as a 44-gallon drum in the United
Kingdom<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom>
, Canada <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada>,
Ireland<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ireland>
, Australia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia>, New
Zealand<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand>
, South Africa <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Africa> and other former
British dependencies, even though all those countries now officially use
the metric system and the drums are filled to 200 litres) is a cylindrical
container drum with a nominal capacity of 55
US<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_customary_units>
 gallons <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallon> (46
imp<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_unit>
 gal <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallon>; 208
L<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Litre>).
The exact capacity varies with wall thickness and other factors. Standard
drums are 22.5 inches (572 mm <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millimetre>) in
diameter and 33.5 inches (851 mm) high (these dimensions yield a total
volume of ~218 L). Exact dimensions are specified in ANSI MH2.

Comprende?

--
Sam Ewbank

*Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend
on us. We are not the only experiment.-Buckminster Fuller*