[Greenbuilding] Which insulation? How to install?

John Salmen terrain at shaw.ca
Mon May 28 20:09:52 CDT 2012

In making decisions like this you always should question your bias and goals
and the complexity of any solution.

The conditioned space needs adequate floor insulation regardless of how you
provide it - I would say the goal should be r30 as a min.

If you are doing a crawlspace then the goal there is to create a decent
accessible space - which is around 30". Meeting the code criteria of a
crawlspace mitigates vapour and gas concerns to some degree. It also
alleviates the curses of future workers who have to navigate that space.

If you don't need a crawlspace I like robs idea of simply building retaining
perimeter foundation walls and rubble filling them and would use eps FOAM as
rob suggests (???). That would be my bias except I wouldn't bother with a
slab as they just seem to lag behind the weather and you can throw ply and
tile or wood floor,  or a thickset tile over foam.

Rolled steel joists are another solution over a moist crawlspace where you
might want good spans and be concerned about wood - and you can run foam
over top of them. But rubble and earth you can trust and steel just like
wood will eventually fail (so provide a decent space for future solutions).