[Greenbuilding] Insulation Fasteners

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Thu Nov 15 08:22:46 CST 2012

(George wrote :

> I'm about to screw through 4-1/2" of polyiso, I can only find 6" screws
> affordably ($13/100ea), longer screws are $1ea

Many moons ago in my mis-spent yoot as a carp-ender, I remember building
an Alex Wade [spit] design for a fellow who came seeking our
timber-framing expertise.

Wade's [spit] plans for the shell called for 2x6 girts [stoopit idea],
with XPS sheathing and 4x8 sheets of compressed sawdust/glue siding that
had lines pressed into it to make it look like tongue & groove.

That building left me with such a bad taste in my mouth I never built
another foamed-plastic outsulated stick frame ever again. (I also remember
exclaiming to an order desk clerk at the fastener supply regarding the
price of the long stainless steel threaded fasteners : "At that price, do
you have a +%@*#^ pimp handling them ???"

But enough harping on the Past.

Thinking now about the issue of the pricey long screws for attaching thick
outsulation where Z-channels aren't an option...

Presumably one would install a sheet metal channel or angle flashing at
the bottom edge to provide an ant/termite/rodent barrier ?

That should suffice to temporarily support the sheets of foam against
gravity until they can be fastened to the framing. No ?

For holding the foam against the framing how about something like the
brick ties that are used for foam-wrapped steel studs where the brick tie
wraps around the backside of the stud ?

The "ties" in this case I think could simply be a piece of U-shaped
annealed wire (say somewhere between 10 and 14 gauge as a WAG ?) poked
through foam from the backside of the wall, stapled to the back of the
stud if necessary. Maybe the bracing wire used for farm fencing would do
the trick. Sold in bazillion-foot-long cpils and cheap like borscht. (It
may be too heavy though).

The "U-ties" could be easily fabricated on-site borrowing a technique from
the electronics assembly industry where they'd hold a bunch of the wire
legs of resistors in the jaws of some long needle-nose pliers and bend
them all at once to get identical bends .

For the U-ties instead of needle-nose pliers it'd probably be a matter of
clamping a $#!+-load of wires (cut to the same length and ends aligned)
between two 2x4s and them folding the protruding wires en masse.

Furring strips (to which the siding would be attached) could be
pre-drilled for the U-ties (while the lumber is still stacked/banded in
bundles).

The protruding legs of the U-ties would simply be twisted (like lashing
re-bar) until the furring and foam is pulled sufficiently tight against
the framing -- the furring serving as a spreader to prevent the two legs
of the wire from pinching towards each other and cutting into the foam.

The top ends of the furring strips could be clipped to a nailer attached
to the underside of the rafters to prevent them from sagging.

If the lump of wire from twisting/being bent over is a problem, a quick
pass with plunge router to make a shallow (say 1/8" ?) mortise at each of
the pairs of pre-drilled holes shouldn't be too much of a chore.

No doubt there would be some other fine-grain details to work out but the
idea seems not too whacked-out enough to be workable.
--
=== * ===
Rob Tom					AOD257

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")