[Greenbuilding] recycled wood (was Glass ceiling)

John Salmen terrain at shaw.ca
Sun Nov 18 19:35:29 CST 2012

Glass detail sounds nice.

I started my building life reclaiming old barns, timberframes and log homes
in Ontario. Hundreds of abandoned farms. The barnboard was virtually
petrified wood.

We had a funny job years ago where the client supplied incredibly beautiful
old growth cedar that came from old logging bridges. They made these bridges
by dropping huge logs and then covering them with dirt and gravel. No
preservatives or oil or anything just thousands of logging trucks driving
over them for decades. As the bridges were replaced with concrete ones the
wood was available as salvaged old growth. We ran it through the kiln and
then started processing. This wood was like a schnitzel. Totally pulverized.
When you ran it through the planer, long threads of fibre would just
separate. We were making doors and windows and literally had to glue the
fibre down prior to sanding and finishing. Beautiful end product but very
odd.