[Greenbuilding] Insulation fasteners

John Straube jfstraube at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Nov 20 14:08:49 CST 2012

I used three gutter spikes per 9' long 2x3.  The method was chosen partly because it used less labor, and partly because it used less material cost than our more standard approach of using a screw every 16-24" vertically.
Hitting the stud is dead easy.  The stud is completely visible in this approach, as the nail is attached before the foam is.  Not a single nail missed a stud.
Screwing blind through strapping and 4" of foam is not very easy and requires more care.  Crews that do this regularily (BSC works with some companies in Massachusetts who do pretty much nothing but exterior foam retrofits like this) dont report any problems, but then they often have the option of screwing to solid board sheathing (eg, no studs need to be hit).

John