[Greenbuilding] Insulation fasteners

Chris Koehn chris at koehn.com
Tue Nov 20 14:47:28 CST 2012

For thick insulation, take the time to pre-drill before installing. If the structure is accurately framed, studs are at predictable centres, and it's much easier to drill straight holes when the sheet is on horses than when you're standing on a ladder. We snap lines and pre-install the screws, which makes running them in while working at height a much simpler process. As well, choosing a screw that self-taps into existing (and often hard) materials makes life easier.

Best,

Chris Koehn
TimberGuides
Vancouver Island

Eli wrote: "I know from experience there is a lot of labor from missing the stud and
trying again, as well as creating additional holes to the the thermal
barrier.  The thicker the insulation gets, the more difficult it becomes to
hit the stud with hand held drills."