[Greenbuilding] Double stud vs foam outsulation/single stud ( was re: (not )Outgassing of Sheathing & Insulation fasteners

John Straube jfstraube at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Nov 28 15:18:51 CST 2012

Rob, you are correct about one thing: the problems with DSWare always due to some error of design or construction.
However, your "venture" is incorrect.  Lots of plastic insulation, even foil-faced, on the outside increases the drying rates of OSB and plywood sheathing, just the drying direction changes (it dries to the interior).
Most walls of all types work.  Every failed wall has many more examples that succeed.
The real metric is: what percentage of walls of a certain design fail?
We accept that standard 2x6 with OSB and housewrap walls fail at less than about 1% of houses.  DSW's have a higher rate of failure based on limited stats, solid science, and some carefully controlled measurements in the field.  Using lots of insulation on the exterior like Eli suggested is safer than normal houses, based on solid science and numerous detailed field monitoring studies.

There are numerous solutions to the floor thermal bridge in DSWs, but they are rarely built this way for various cost and construction difficulty reasons.

We can make almost any wall work, my comments are based on how to make it simple, repeatable, lower risk at the lowest increase in cost.

As your (and others) whole argument seems to be based on abhorence of foam, simply substitute 6" of Roxul for 6" of EPS.  We have tested both structurally, and both work (actually we tested 4" and 8" of EPS, and 4" and 6" or Roxul). And you get all the benefits of superior moisture performance and thermal performance.

John

--
Prof. John Straube, Ph.D., P.Eng.
Faculty of Engineering