[Greenbuilding] What are Energy Upgrades Worth

Steve Houlihan sho11 at comcast.net
Wed Nov 28 17:37:15 CST 2012

When you go to sell your, the answer is "not much".  I was reading the
recent blog by Roger Normand at GBA and thought I would share my recent
experience.

I am in the process of buying a new house closer to town.  I found a
nice house that met all our needs and it was the recent recipient of a
few costly upgrades.  The owners had installed a $35,000 Photo Voltaic
system and a gray water recovery system that automatically waters a very
large garden as well as all the landscaping around the house.  These
projects are less than 2 years old.  When my realtors told me what they
thought the house was worth they compared it with other 4 bdrm, three
bath houses in the area.  That was just about the only criteria.  I told
them I was willing to pay more for all the work that had been done but
they were adamant about the worth of the house.  They even admitted that
they understood the value of such things but it doesn't change the
price.  Wow!

Now I wonder about my present house.  I have spent well over $100K
upgrading this house.  High efficiency furnace and water heater, *lots*
of insulation and air sealing. Blower door tests to find the leaks. I
guess I'll find out soon enough what they are worth to the "market".

Steve in Santa Cruz, California