[Greenbuilding] HEAT PUMP WATER HEATER

christian corson chris at ecocor.us
Tue Oct 2 16:56:05 CDT 2012

Alan

No it doesnt. The ASHPWH will actually increase the heating demand
considerably when running in the shoulder and heating seasons.
My experiences with Stiebel Eltron is that they can actually decrease the
temp by as much as 6 degrees depending on the space (assuming 800ft2 if you
are not using make up air). Graham Wright did some work with this relative
to PH specifically a few years ago. I believe that in his study it
increased the heating demand by as much a 2/KBTUFT2YR or something like
that (off the cuff metrics). Although I have installed them up here in
Maine they have been outside of the thermal envelope and their primary use
was for summer only residents who were offsetting with PV. For your climate
why dont you just use an ASHP and run it in dehumdification mode (slight
cooling) in the shoulder seasons.  For DHW why not LPG? You could bury the
tank or not depending on the codes there.

*Christian Corson*
*EcoCor Design/Build*
ecocor.us
chris at ecocor.us