[Greenbuilding] Temporary Sunspace ?

Lynelle Hamilton lynelle at kos.net
Mon Oct 8 12:28:06 CDT 2012

Hello Listers!

Happy Thanksgiving to all Canucks!

Again, I seek the advice of this list.

Has anyone had experience with a removable "sunspace"?  I have a 7 x 14
foot sliding door on the south wall of the house.  The overhangs are
such that I get no direct sun in summer, but do get a considerable
amount in winter.  I use the door in the winter, as it's the shortest
path to the woodpile and I am lazy. I am on Lake Ontario, near Kingston.
My location means that I don't get a huge number of sun days in the
winter, and the single slider (itself triple-glazed glass) means that
there is no airlock when I load wood, let the dog out, etc.

I am thinking of constructing a sunspace that would only be installed in
October/removed in April.  I am thinking that this would allow the
collection of warm air, even in winter, helping to warm the house and
offer a buffer for the cold.  The south is my view of the water, so for
the heat and the view, I don't want to have a structure out there in the
summer.  I'm wanting something that would have, at most a 18" kneewall
on the perimeter, with the rest removable.  Overall size is about 14 x
10 feet.

I've checked out Google, but this list has many people whose skill and
knowledge I trust to a much greater extent.  Any advice?  Anyone done
one of these?  Many thanks!

Lynelle Hamilton