[Greenbuilding] Temporary Sunspace ?

LarenCorie LarenCorie at axilar.net
Thu Oct 11 08:04:54 CDT 2012

From: Lynelle Hamilton <lynelle at kos.net>

> The worry about the permanent install is the desire to avoid
> overheating in the summer.  I could construct a solid roof,
> but don't want to lose more light.  That said, a permanent
> install has the distinct advantages you noted.

Hi Lynelle;

Though glass roofs can increase Solar gain during some
parts of the heating season, they are usually more bother
than they are worth. I say that having designed (and had
built) several of them during the early 1980s.  Generally,
I designed those tall and shallow, so that the Summer
overheating could be isolated to the upper portion,
above where people would be.  But, I recommend
you have an opaque roof.  If you open the sunspace
sliding doors in Summer, over-heating should not
be a significant issue. Blinds may also help, and
do not have to block the view, to block the high
angle of the sunlight.  Roof slope and aesthetics
would be primary design considerations. If the
South wall were to be significantly taller than
the doors, transom windows, or some sort
of roof vent might be used to vent out
Summer heat..

 Of course, a permanent sunspace, would
most likely be more expensive than a temp,
but, depending on your material/labor budget
balance, there are ways to trim that too, such
as doing most of the wall, in fixed glass, using
salvaged or replacement sliding door glass
(single thickness, or sealed glass units) set
against a 4x6 timber frame, like these:

< http://web.axilar.net/LarenCorie/ESRemodeling.htm >
< http://web.axilar.net/LarenCorie/PHouse.htm >
< http://web.axilar.net/LarenCorie/RAddition.htm >
< http://web.axilar.net/LarenCorie/TAddition.htm >
< http://web.axilar.net/LarenCorie/VictorianSouth.htm >

 -Laren Corie-
 Natural Solar Building Design and
 Solar Heating/Natural Cooling/Energy
 Efficiency Consultation Since 1975
 www.ThermalAttic.com  (many new
 photos and pages, coming soon)

Read my Solar house design articles in:
-Energy Self-Sufficiency Newsletter-
www.essnmag.com

Home base-LittleHouses YahooGroup
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LittleHouses/

Founder-WoodGas - Power from wood
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WoodGas

Founder-RefrigeratorAlternatives YahooGroup
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RefrigeratorAlternatives