[Greenbuilding] Nyle Geyser HPWH - Preliminary Results (was HEAT PUMP WATER HEATER)

Carmine Vasile gfx-ch at msn.com
Wed Oct 17 10:06:41 CDT 2012

Rob: About 17 years ago, Virginia Power hired a "numbernurd" (as Corwyn refers to engineers) to measure the Energy Factor of a HPWH and compare it to the COP of its heat pump. They ran identical tests using three types of tank-type, electric water heaters then compared the performance with a GFX Model G3-60 replacing the HPWH.
   http://gfxtechnology.com/tests.html has links to 1996 reports and tabulated test results, along with results for a tankless, on-demand heater.
    Had they tested the HPWH with the GFX the EF would have been close to the heat pump's COP because the HPWH's resistive would not have been energized during long hot water draws to simulate residential showers.
    But that configuration was not evaluated.
Best regards,
Dr. Carmine F. Vasile
http://gfxtechnology.com
631-291-5147