[Greenbuilding] Fwd: Re: Adding glass pane to single pane wood windows ?

Corwyn corwyn at midcoast.com
Sat Oct 27 21:18:06 CDT 2012

On 10/25/2012 6:04 PM, Lance Hoffmeyer wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> My house was build around 1955 and has single-pane wood windows.
>
> When I first moved in I started adding storm windows to the outside.
> They are very flimsy and a hassle on days like this when I want to
> open windows because I have to go through a four step process:
> open the wood window,  open storm screen, open storm window, close storm
> screen.
>
> It occurred to me that I can have glass cut and get holes drilled in it
> that would allow me to attach a second pane of glass to the existing
> sash (frame) of the windows.
>
> Attaching a second pane to the wood frame would give me almost 1 inch of
> space
> between the original glass (1/8 inch) and the second pane.
>

> I am now trying to decide what sort of glass to get.  the options I am
> considering are
>
> 1/8 or 1/4 inch
>
> plain (probably only safe to use 1/4 inch, 1/8 inch may break too easily)
> tempered (same cost 1/8 inch or 1/4 inch)
> laminated (1/4 inch only)
>

> I am looking for some ideas/help for advantages/disadvantages of these
> glass types and this
> idea of adding a second pane of glass to the existing windows, in general.
>

> I imagine R/U value doubles from 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch.
> Don't know if there is any difference in R/U value window benefits for
> plain vs. tampered vs. laminated.
> Since I will most likely use 1/4 inch glass anyway, I imagine plain
> glass is cheaper and what I would probably
> purchase unless there is significant R/U value increase in using one of
> the other types.

The r-value does double from 1/8 to 1/4.  But that is pretty much
irrelevant, as it goes from R-0.125 to R-0.25.  The key with all windows
is the space in between.   1 inch of space is a bit too much, 1/2 to 3/4
is better.

Before you settle on glass, take a look at my interior storm windows.
Instructions are available, Or I am gearing up to sell them in kit form.
  Two films and two air spaces gives an increase of about R-2.3

http://www.greenfret.com/storms.html

Thank You Kindly,

Corwyn

--