[Greenbuilding] Airtight windows

Peter Kidd peterkidd at shaw.ca
Sun Oct 28 21:25:49 CDT 2012

OK but Corwyn gave a fairly complete explanation of what problem you
have to solve, one likely fix but also indirectly suggestions about what
else you can do.. The recommended RH of 40 - 60 is not realistic during
the winters of truly cold climates unless you either tolerate
condensation and icing or have much higher performance windows than your
9 yr old Pellas. You find interior storms to be out of reach (time and
effort at least, all 50?) and you don't want to, say, stick strips of
foam along the bottom of your glazing (I'm not recommending that), but
somehow lowering the RH or warming the glass (I'm imagining 50 fans to
boost local temperatures at the glass), are your options as Corwyn
rightly suggests.

Condensation on the base on the inside is the classic location where
windows tend to be coldest whether or not they are airtight. The
airtightness between the panes is relevant to condensation on the
exterior panes, relatively moist interior air getting to those colder
outside surfaces. The airtightness of the window assembly can make the
interior surfaces of a window colder, not just at the bottom edge of the
glass. Windows will be colder than most other surfaces of your building
envelope (or hopefully so!!) so windows will be your dehumidifier.