[Greenbuilding] Airtight windows

John Salmen terrain at shaw.ca
Sun Oct 28 23:22:26 CDT 2012

I will hazard some comments here - dangerous ground for me on this one. RH
is as the term implies is a relative humidity. Large open celerestory
residential structures can get complicated in terms of air flows and what
humidity is contained, where it is stored and where it is released (and
how).  They get even more complex with levels and clerestory heights and
exterior wall exposures.

Modelling air flows gets even harder but even simple modelling gives some
decent information as to what basic provisions can be made. It is not rocket
science just providing for some flexible options.  if there is a source of
dry (dehumidified air) ceiling ducting can be used to air wash windows but
you need some source of dried air and movement and hopefully some materials
that can hold moisture without degrading.  I usually include some ducting or
plenum in clerestory structures that allows for some forced or even
facilitate passive air movement that can move a conditioned air to a top of
building. Doesn't have to be integrated but if it is it can alter a wall or
window condition and air movement within a room. Room to room passive wall
air transfer grills are also really effective if sized properly for the room
(undercutting doors just doesn't do it) and there is some draw that provides
effective air movement. Properly sized grills can provide for air transfer
with even limited draw (low cfm).

In moving air across surfaces - those surfaces also need to be able to do
what they are capable of in terms of moisture capacity. Large areas of wood
(ceilings, floors) are quite amazing in what they can hold and release in
terms of moisture safely with limited air flow.  Cementious products like
stucco are also quite forgiving.  Drying air flows across exterior walls
that subsequently load interior surfaces with moisture can be quite
effective in managing humidity despite high 'relative' humidity readings.
But it is all about materials and surfaces and their capacity - Gypsum,
paper surfacing and layers of latex paint are not so amazing and studies
have shown interesting growth between layers of paint...

Moisture is essentially about materials and their capacity to hold and
release moisture without significant deterioration (meaning some
deterioration that compromises the health of the material (or occupant).
Window manufacturers gave up the battle on that and loaded interior wood
with exterior grade fungicides that may or may not outlast the warranty
depending on the application - but may look ugly over time.  If air movement
can be directed to 'delicate' conditions (such as wood next to glass) and
effect some drying and subsequently moved across 'less delicate' surfaces
that can deal with a moisture load then you can cope with a relatively
higher degree of humidity (which can also be a level of comfort).