[Greenbuilding] Radioactive VOC's RE: Radionuclies in water...

Carmine Vasile gfx-ch at msn.com
Sun Sep 9 16:04:35 CDT 2012

Dear Gordon: Thank you for your input. Unlike Canada, America has thousands of radionuclide sources; including hundreds of Listed DOE Facilities covered by the Energy Employees Occupational Illness Act (EEOICPA). Since 2000, nuclear weapons workers covered by the EEOICPA -- or their heirs -- have collected billions in compensation; not a dime was paid those living in their radioactive fallout zones and above their radioactive groundwater plumes -- which are also loaded with VOCs.
    The latter was discussed on this Forum in the July 2009 email below by Keith Winston & Andy Pace, for example, yet few consider health effects of mixtures of VOCs & Radon fumes --- and the US EPA has yet to set an drinking water MCL for Radon --- THE 2nd second leading cause of lung cancer.
   Here on Long Island, NY we have VOC/Radon fumes emanating from soil, compost, dumps, ground & drinking water -- yet the EPA grants enforcement waivers. An Argonne National Lab report "Radiological and Chemical Fact Sheets to Support Health Risk Analyses for Contaminated Areas" indicates Radon-222 is continually emitted from Radium-226, which has a half life of 1600 years; Radon-220 from Radium-228, which has a half life of only 5.8 years. The specific activity of Ra-226 is one Curie per gram, compared to 160 for Ra-228, 160,000 for Rn-222 & 930 million for Rn-220.
   Therefore, every fume-plume from radioactive dumps or compost containing Ra-226/228 and VOCs will emit radioactive VOC's.
Yours truly,
Dr. Carmine F. Vasile
gfxtechnology.com