[Greenbuilding] scale buildup in toilet prevents toilet from flushing!

Kathy Cochran kathys_old_house at goldrush.com
Fri Sep 28 14:56:18 CDT 2012

I had that happen before I put in my water softener.  When a started getting
the converted garage ready to rent, I took the toilet OUT and took it
outside, where I soaked it with a strong acid (can't remember the name of
this acid, but I am sure somebody out there will..) I filled up the tank and
the bowl with it and let it soak!   When I was done, it looked like a had a
brand new toilet.  (This would only work if you had another toilet in the
house to use, or else an out-house for temporary use.  But it really does
work!

(My well water is full of iron and magnesium and calcium.  I too am on a
septic system)

My suggestion is that you put in a water softening system, start with a
clean toilet per the above directions, and you will be amazed at the
difference!  In ALL your appliances, as well!  I am now inspired to pull the
main toilet out of the house, and do the same thing, because that one was in
use before the water softener was put in, and still has some rust stains
that I haven't been able to get out by other means!  Good luck!

Kathy Cochran