[Greenbuilding] Scale build up

Frank Tettemer frank at livingsol.com
Sat Sep 29 15:36:14 CDT 2012

/
//Mark Sofman wrote:
Scale build up is due to minerals in the water.  Most important part of
toilet to keep clear is the jet down in the bottom of the bowl and the
opening around the bottom of the rim of the bowl.  It require some
serious scrubbing to remove the scale.  You might even have to use a
dull knife to scrape./
/
/
/Once the scale is gone, as a preventative pour a quart of white vinegar
in the bowl and let it sit overnight without flushing.  I do it monthly
and it sure beats scraping./

My comments:

Ditto to what Mark wrote!
In our house, same treatment, as described.
Somtimes I pour a jar of Hydrogen Peroxide in, to bleach out staining,
venting the room, and leaving it all sit overnight.
We have good, tasty deep-well water, but with some minerals in it, too.

Ditto to what Rob Tom said!
when it's really bad. Muriatic acid should do it. From decades of past
stone masonry experiences, we would clean off the freshly set stray
mortar from the stone work with muriatic acid. Ditto what RT said about
safety protection. Don't ride in bareback.

Frank

--
Frank Tettemer
Living Sol ~ Building and Design