[Greenbuilding] skepticism about mass wall values

Topher topher at greenfret.com
Tue Apr 23 15:10:46 CDT 2013

On 4/23/2013 3:44 PM, Alan Abrams wrote:
> f'r'instance, a claim was made that a 12" AAC wall has a functional
> R-value of over 20, much greater than its "steady state" value of
> something like R-12...

In the high mass building I did energy analysis for, I used the
Minnesota data for a Maine climate, and the final results differed from
my predictions by about 15% (with large error bars on a number of
things, of course).  Certainly even in my climate there is a benefit
from high mass walls, IMO.   The results would have been far more
divergent if no benefit was evident.  The occupants are very happy with
the house, if that is any indication.

I would view with /profound/ skepticism any claim such as the one you
quote, which lacks climate reference.

The trouble with peak load is that it is generally used to size HVAC
equipment.  As such, I would NOT recommend ignoring the affect of high
mass.  The 'time to heat' a high mass house can be an order of magnitude
longer than a light house, and its return to ambient is similarly long.
At this point, I want to know the owner's occupancy patterns, and
tolerance for temperature swings. If they are present for much of the
day and prefer a stable temperature, one can size HVAC equipment based
on an average heat loss (i.e. no considerations of mass).  If occupancy
is varied, or temperature is expected or desired to vary, HVAC equipment
will need to be reassessed and probably increased in size.

Thank You Kindly,

Corwyn

--
Topher Belknap