[Greenbuilding] size of award winning houses

Lynelle Hamilton lynelle at kos.net
Tue Apr 23 17:06:42 CDT 2013

Hi Sacie:

I'm with you on this.  When I lived north of Toronto, a neighbour built
a 10,800 sq.ft. "low energy" home--for 3 people!  While it was
well-insulated, energy-starred out the ying-yang, the concept was such
an affront to sustainable living.

Lynelle
On 23/04/2013 5:37 PM, Sacie Lambertson wrote:
> Seeing Alan's query about mass, reminded my of my disgust in reading
> about the cost of one of the recipients of AIA's top ten green awards,
> a house in Venice CA which measures 3800 sq ft and cost well over $1.5
> million to build.  Not only is this an outsized cost for a green house
> but if you look at the place on its lot you can see it is far more
> than twice the size of its neighbors, who must be most happy about
> that.  (Of course it could cost $1 mil, just to buy a lot in Venice).
>
> http://www.buildinggreen.com/auth/article.cfm/2013/4/22/New-Top-Ten-Plus-Award-Crowns-AIA-s-2013-Green-Projects/?utm_source=BuildingGreen.com+Mailing+List&utm_campaign=c56441dc0b-BGB_2013_04_224_22_2013&utm_medium=email&mc_cid=c56441dc0b&mc_eid=94d551ef67
>
> The article in Building Green says the cost of this 'Yin Yang' house
> was justified thusly:
>
> / The owner and designers chose both materials and technologies based
> on a 50-year anticipated time before major renovations, which
> justified significant investments in quality and efficiency. /
>
> What superb rationalization.
>
> Compare this house to another award winning one: 'A New Norris' house,
> reported to be 'tiny' by the article.
>
> Honest to Pete.
>
> Sacie

*/"Life is an experience and an opportunity. The meaning comes from what
we decide to do with the opportunity that is given to us."--Bernie Siegel/*