[Greenbuilding] size of award winning houses

Ron Cascio roncascio at verizon.net
Wed Apr 24 15:02:14 CDT 2013

Sad to say, but I wouldn't expect much more out of AIA.

Ron

  On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 7:16 PM, RT <archilogic at yahoo.ca> wrote:

    On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 17:37:17 -0400, Sacie Lambertson <sacie.lambertson at gmail.com> wrote:

      Seeing Alan's query about mass, reminded my of my disgust in reading about the cost of one of the recipients of AIA's top ten green awards
      ...3800 sq ft and cost well over $1.5 million

    I remember years ago (10 or so ?) when I subscribed to satellite TV and got the Murrican PBS channel from either Spokane or Seattle, there was a program called "Building Green" (or something to that effect) that when I caught a glimpse, was following the construction of a "Green" home in southern California.

    Like Sacie is today with the Venice CA award winner, I was disgusted by the whole idea of what the program was promoting as being "Green" building.

    It seemed as though they were just loading up the home with a $#!+-load of trendy items that were viewed as being Green  -- some strawbale walls here, some earthen plaster there, some salvaged material over there, a hydronic slab (acid-stained of course) there, a gazillion dollar mechanical system for good measure --blah,blah blah ...  oh, and a structural steel frame that would look perfectly at home holding up a four storey big box store.

    IIRC, the house was for three people, something like 3000 (or 5000?) square feet of conditioned living space and multiple $million$ to build.

    It made me want to puke (pardonnnez moi). But unfortunately for me, I have an iron gut that never does.

    --
    === * ===
    Rob Tom                                 AOD257

    < A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
    (manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")

    Greenbuilding at bioenergylists.org

  Greenbuilding at bioenergylists.org