[Greenbuilding] Lstiburek... wow.

Sam Ewbank g.l.ewbank at gmail.com
Sun Aug 4 08:06:25 CDT 2013

Hey Reuben,  use a yogurt container or similar with quick dry primer, slice
the lid for the paint brush handle to stick through to paint the ends in
the field.
Having a staging area and pre-cutting and priming as many pieces as
possible will help speed the installation but I wouldn't skimp on sealing.
It can get a little messy but important.  Have also smeared the end with
wood glue when paint wasn't available.

Putting small piece of whatever weather barrier you are using behind field
joints also helps in the case of the joint opening (which it will) with
seasonal movement.  You can cut up the pieces and stuff 'em in your pouch
to have handy when installing.

Are you using a rain screen?

Not exactly a siding installation but you can see some pictures by Gary
Katz, where he is wrapping a column in wood and priming the ends that
aren't exposed, also some good flashing tips:
http://www.garymkatz.com/TrimTechniques/column_wrap.html

 Sam