[Greenbuilding] water-source heat pump formula

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Tue Aug 6 17:37:59 CDT 2013

On Mon, 05 Aug 2013 00:48:47 -0400, Carol Venolia <cvenolia at sonic.net>
wrote:

> friend wants to use the pond as a component of a water-source heat-pump
> cooling system. He’s looking for a formula (or several?) he can use to
> calculate the length of collector/coolant tubing he should install in
> the pond to provide a given amount of air cooling

Dear Domestic Nature Goddess;

I don't know nuttin' about nuttin' about WSHP gizmology but if I did want
to find out, the first place that I'd go a-lookin' is ASHRAE.

And if I were too lazy to to try and figure out how to use the reams of
formulae that I'm sure one of the ASHRAE handbooks would provide, I think
that I'd contact one of the heat pump suppliers and/or manufacturers and
let them do the arithmetic for me.

So on the "preliminary lazy man's search" I plugged "ASHRAE water-source
heat pumps" into Google and one of the first hits was:

http://www.mcquay.com/mcquaybiz/literature/lit_systems/AppGuide/AG_31-
008_Geothermal_021607b.pdf

in which the section on "Surface Water (Loop) Design" starting on page 31
provides:

================= Copied material =================

" ... Pond depths are usually 10 to 12 feet minimum."

" ...typical operating range for surface water systems is 35°F to 87°F."

" ...Piping systems are generally made up of 300 to 350 ft coils of ¾ in.
HDPE pipe.
      Each coil will reject about 1 ton of heat to the water."
================ end of copied material ===================

Looks to me like the above-cited PDF should be enough to get your friend
started.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom					AOD257

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")