[Greenbuilding] roof material for rain harvesting

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Fri Aug 16 12:07:00 CDT 2013

On Fri, 16 Aug 2013 00:24:03 -0400, Reuben Deumling <9watts at gmail.com>
wrote:

> can you explain the rolls bit? My impression of standing seam roofs is
> that  they come in panels.

I'd venture that the "best" roof for rainwater harvesting would be
tempered glass ...and if the glass is from diverted-from-the-wastestream
patio door insulating glass units whose edge seals have failed (IGUs then
separated to yield two panels) one would be hard pressed to find a more
Green roof material (chemically inert, indestructible, never needs
replacement).

But on the subject of standing seam metal roofing:

Sheet metal flat stock is typically 36 inches wide but 48" wide stock is
available from Murrican mills.

Any company that fabricates pre-formed sheet metal roofing buys the sheet
stock in big coils that are at least 4 ft (or more ? ... it's been awhile
since I've been in a fabrication plant) in diameter requiring a fork lift
to move. At the retail level, utility coils of 50 and 100ft lengths which
are manageable by hand, are typically available. The local building supply
is likely to keep 36x96 or 36x120 inch flat sheets on hand.

The old rule of thumb (from the days when pans were formed by hand on
site) is that standing seam pans should not exceed 18 inches in width.

I've made standing seam pans on-site in the past using 28 and 26 gauge
Galvalume stock, working alone -- a walk in the park.

It's simply a matter of making two (or three, depending upon seam lock
detail) bends along each longitudinal edge of the pan stock. A couple of
10ft-plus lengths of steel angle (3"x 3" x 3/16" is a nice manageable
size) with a few F-clamps and/or C-clamps makes a very serviceable brake
press.

This setup enables one to fabricate custom-shaped panels, useful for
non-rectilinear roofs (like say for that ziggurat design that looked so
nifty on paper ... or that reciprocal roof that was so awesome-looking at
the framing stage  ... but became a nightmare to put a roof on. )

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom					AOD257

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")