[Greenbuilding] passive haus article

Topher topher at greenfret.com
Wed Aug 21 11:26:59 CDT 2013

On 8/21/2013 6:38 AM, Alan Abrams wrote:
> re the GB advisor article:
> Conversely (assuming you are looking at net heat loss through the
> building envelope), increasing, say wall insulation, to compensate for
> heat loss under a slab, ...

I think that this is a bad way to think of it.  A bit like complaining
when someone buys a big mac and a /diet/ coke. Heat losses (exactly like
food calories) are additive.  There is no way to 'compensate' for a heat
loss by making some other part better.

The choices are (imho) to optimize /each/ surface both in terms of money
and energy, or optimize the entire building including heating, cooling,
and ventilation systems.   The trouble with the former is that you can
end up producing the highest cost building (even if cheap to heat).
Passivhaus attempts to circumvent this by replacing expensive mechanical
systems with/lots/ of cheap insulation.  This approach has the advantage
of moving costs from volitilely priced energy to constant priced
interest on up-front insulation.  If fuel prices double (again) the
Passivhaus (or equivalent) is most likely to survive.

I hear complaints that Passivhaus is hide-bound with respect to their
metrics (and they are, a bit), but the solution is to make better (or
more locally optimized) metrics, with just as much evidence behind them.

Note that NOT optimizing is not an option.

> the downside is that there seems to be no reasonable substitute for foam.

Foam glass seems to be a good option for under slabs.  We just need to
get a supplier here in the US.

Thank You Kindly,

Corwyn / Topher Belknap

--