[Greenbuilding] passive haus article

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Wed Aug 21 12:18:17 CDT 2013

On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 12:52:51 -0400, JOHN SALMEN <terrain at shaw.ca> wrote:

> Biggest emerging issue (pun intended) is rising grounwater

> On 8/21/2013 8:50 AM, John F Straube wrote:
>
> I recoil at the notion of large amounts of insulation (even 4" of foam
> is a lot) under the slab because it does not save much energy,

Like a rimshot following a Henny Youngman (sp?) one-liner as I head out
the door...

In parts of Kanata it's not unusual to see huge blocks of XPS foam (4'x 8'
x 2 or 3 feet thick) stockpiled around subdivision developments awaiting
use.

I've never stopped in to ask anyone what it gets used for but I'm assuming
it has something to do with wet soils.

Me ? Given that there is no shortage of sites where bedrock is readily
accessible (the joke around here is that the cattle have pointy heads from
trying to eat between the rocks) I have to wonder why anyone would build
on that swampland.

If 6" of foam would make WatJohn recoil, I'd pay five bucks and a box of
doughnuts to see WatJohn's reaction to two or three feet thicknesses of
foam.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom					AOD257

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")