[Greenbuilding] (not really) Re: sub-grade heat loss was passive haus article

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Thu Aug 22 12:28:39 CDT 2013

n Thu, 22 Aug 2013 10:53:05 -0400, Norbert Senf <mheat at mha-net.org> wrote:

> At 09:01 AM 8/22/2013 -0400, John Straube wrote:
>> ..."Heat flows through a material at a rate based only on the
>> temperature difference and the thermal resistance of the intervening
>> layer"..
>
> Hey, that would make a good tattoo, in case anybody forgets

That MeatHook ... one wild and crazy guy. Eh ?

It just so happens that one night, long ago in my mis-spent yoot as a
student at Univ of Waterloo, after having spent wa-a-a-y too much time
carousing in the physics lab trying to find flaws in the Dirac equation
when heading back to Environmental Studies II, we had to pass by "The
Submarine" (the entrance to the subterranean engineering lecture halls) we
were bushwhacked by a gang of thugs dressed in black, shrouded robes,
shackled by the chains they were carrying and taken down into the dark
depths of The Submarine where they forced beer down our throats (from the
kegs they had stock-piled down there) until we passed out.

We awoke days later to find ourselves in what turned out to be Arizona,
with our pants on backwards and our wallets/ID missing.

In putting our pants back on frontwards, someone noticed that we had all
received tattoos onto our backsides:

          "  q  =  A [ dT ( K/s + hc ) +  ( σ * T^4 ) ]  "

... which of course, you will recognise as the WatJohn phrase quoted
above, written in EnginoidalSpeak.

We later determined that those thugs in dark robes who had Shanghai'd us
were engineers who, as part of their traditional rituals regularly
invaded/disrupted Architecture students' maths and structures lectures
which were held in "their" realm, the Eng. Lecture Halls.

So, we did get the tattoo of the equation for (conductive + convective +
radiative)  heat transfer  as Norbert (who just happens to be an engineer)
suggested, but those dastardly enginoids had it imprinted onto our arses
so that one could not easily refer to it when in polite company.

One suspects that this is an inside joke amongst enginoidal sorts because
more than once when I've encountered an engineer, one of the first things
out of their mouth will be:

  "Say, can you tell me the rate of heat transfer for ... "

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom					AOD257

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")