[Greenbuilding] Slab heat loss calculation

John Salmen terrain at shaw.ca
Sun Aug 25 14:31:42 CDT 2013

In the same post you are discussing cost but also talking about net zero as
a goal.  I think that illustrates the dilemma – how do you establish a
‘rational’ system that covers 2 paradigms (jane Jacobs has an excellent book
‘systems of survival’ that explores this problem).  Jane argues you can’t –
and when you try you compromise both objectives by bending over backwards it
goes sideways (my experiences)

That said I think passivehaus is a good attempt at a standard and it raises
challenges that get us thinking. For example 9” of foam is no longer just a
thermal insulating material but is a structural material – at that point its
thickness is related less to insulation value than structural value.  4 and
6” lends itself easily to eliminating concrete slabs from buildings. Greater
thickness and/or density can easily allow us to eliminate concrete footings
and retaining walls and we have the technical data and infield applications
(geofoam)  to support this usage – eliminating concrete is a huge
achievement in reducing energy costs from a building.

Can I do this for a client? I don’t know – my relationship with a client is
in the realm of commerce and the concept and designwork required for such
initiatives is in the realm of the environment – two different worlds, two
different areas of faith, understanding and codes of conduct.

changing to 2" of foam increases the SSHD to 5.90 Btus/SF/year, requiring
about 20 additional therms of natural gas to make up the difference.  Local
cost for the first 45 therms per month runs $0.3853/therm.

doubling down to 4" of foam drops the SSHD to 5.28 Btus/SF/year, saving
about 10 therms.

in summary, PHPP tends to validate Norbert's vivid example.

the bigger question is of course, does this exercise in itself invalidate
the PH requirement to hit the magic 4.75 target?  It's worth noting, and
perhaps no surprise that the cooling load is higher with the thicker subslab
insulation.

This all goes back to my original point, which seems to have gotten lost
under some slab, that rules of thumb-- such as, that two, or four, or
however many inches of subslab foam is "enough"--only gets us so far, and
that if we are to achieve a performance standard, or a means of achieving
net zero, or carbon neutral, or whatever measure--some rational system of
putting this all in a greater context is necessary.

AA

AA