[Greenbuilding] Passivhaus propaganda

Alan Abrams alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
Thu Dec 5 12:05:22 CST 2013

every orthodoxy, including passive house, exposes its fallacies and
contradictions when pushed to the limit.  I'm tripping over one of them on
a current project that is precertified by PHIUS.  Now, in mid construction,
the owners wish to turn what was planned as an unheated 3 season space into
heated space.  In itself, this is neither unreasonable nor unusual.  But
the masonry piers are already in place, and furthermore, this space is
small to begin with, and shoved up against two setbacks, so there is no
reasonable way to develop the 16" wall thickness the rest of the house is
built with.  Connecting it to a meticulously designed mechanical system
would compromise performance elsewhere in the house.

So the certification is probably blown.  What's left is to sort out what
levels of insulation and fenestration make the most sense, and what sort of
independent mechanical system to use.

But even so, there is one important result from this exercise:  that is a
better understanding of heat losses and gains, and the ability to make a
reasonable prediction of  the energy performance of this house.  This is
only possible with a systematic approach.

Whether other systems do it more accurately, or faster, or with fewer
calories than PHPP is a somewhat different question.  In fact, PHPP is
fundamentally obsolete, superceded by WUFI-Passive, which not only analyzes
heat gain and loss on an hourly basis, but also charts the accumulation of
water vapor in envelop assemblies--and does this over the course of many
years.

It goes to ultimate objectives.  If it is accepted that our society should
be carbon neutral by 2030, then we must use a systematic approach  to get
there.

AA

--
Alan Abrams

*certified professional building designer, AIBD certified passive house
consultant, PHIUS*
*certified passive house builder, PHIUS*
Abrams Design Build LLC
*sustainable design for intentional living*
cell     202-437-8583
alan at abramsdesignbuild.com
www.abramsdesignbuild.com