[Greenbuilding] Old flooring

Clarke Olsen colsen at fairpoint.net
Wed Feb 20 14:20:28 CST 2013

I have a floor like that in a building that used to be my shop: a former insane asylum with a 126 year old yellow pine floor. It was brought up to an acceptable level of industrial distress by caulking the gaps (caulk comes in many colors) and sanding with an abrasive pad or wire screen, leaving enough of the different layers to be charming, then given a coat of varnish. Water based polys don't impart that amber hue that is so homey on most wood, but less appealing over paint.
Clarke Olsen
clarkeolsendesign.com
373 route 203
Spencertown, NY 12165