[Greenbuilding] floor refinishing on the cheap

Amy Bauman abauman at greengoat.org
Thu Feb 21 16:38:40 CST 2013

FWIW - we see a LOT of floors discarded, so I've seen many "formats".  From
a programming standpoint, I think it would be AWESOME for your students to
embrace and value the _existing_ material and work with it.

I really like Gennaro's idea of just repairing the existing.  It makes for a
good story and minimizes cost.  Quite seriously, if the original material is
quality, then the refinished floor will continue to wear well.  Unless the
space is a highly refined interior that won't work well with a 'character'
floor, then just go for it.

I think a close second is the Jackson Pollock idea of paint, plus splatter.
I've seen this done beautifully, and I think that is a GREAT idea.  It
sounds horrible, but it's not, and I've got closeup photos of a floor we
reclaimed that had the splatter treatment.  We sold that floor for $1/s.f..

Best of luck, and I'd love you to write back to the list with whatever
approach you choose

Amy Bauman
Director
greenGoat
501(c)3, WBE helping building owners spare waste
PO Box 441911 / Somerville, MA  02144
abauman at greengoat.org
617-504-2095