[Greenbuilding] floor refinishing on the cheap

Michael O'Brien obrien at hevanet.com
Thu Feb 21 17:23:07 CST 2013

Hi, Gennaro--

Thanks for your follow-up on the splattered-paint concept, you articulated what I was thinking but couldn't find words for.

While I enjoy painters like Pollock and even the Fauves, I think splashed paint on a canvas is much different than a floor, for one thing, most of us have been acculturated to accept abstract art. While a "hot" painted floor may work with the rest of the interior, such bright colors might grab a visitor's visual attention, turning it away from other design elements.

I've seen a couple of low-cost plywood/OSB floors here in Portland that were finished with coatings that had a small amount of color added to create an overall tint. That looks good, as the wood grain shows through the surface finish.

BTW the plywood was not 1/2", as described in that article, but 5/8", with regularly spaced fasteners all the way through it, not blind-nailed into one ply. It's holding up well, but it's in an office space, not a lot of traffic.

Best,

Mike

Mike O'Brien Photography
mikeoregon.zenfolio.com