[Greenbuilding] Broken CFL Bulbs

David Bergman bergman at cyberg.com
Fri Feb 22 12:18:48 CST 2013

Coincidentally, I was talking about mercury poisoning (and
fluorescent bulbs) during one of my classes yesterday and students
were asking what the effects were and how potent it is. Without
looking it up for my precise answers, I basically said "very" potent
and mentioned that a spoonful can poison an entire lake (or something
to that effect).

David

At 01:07 PM 2/22/2013, Benjamin Pratt wrote:
>Gennaro--
>just because you have not noticed any health effects from exposure, it
>does not mean it id not harming you or others around you. The effects
>could take years to manifest themselves, and may be attributed to
>other things.
>   I would strongly encourage you to look at the science, and not
>anecdotal evidence, and for your sake, refrain from  breaking
>fluorescent lights.
>Ben
>

>On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 10:35 AM, Michael O'Brien <obrien at hevanet.com> wrote:
> > Hi, Eli--
> >
> > Your wife is right to be concerned about mercury. However, if your
> > electricity is being generated by a coal-fired power plant, it is putting
> > more mercury into the atmosphere than the broken bulb. I mean,
> the amount of
> > mercury in the bulb is only a fraction of the mercury that the bulb's
> > electricity use creates. It's just more immediately obvious when the source
> > is at your feet.
> >
> > In our house we use a mix of CFLs and halogens. The halogens are 20W floods
> > on tracks that run off a common 600W transformer, which makes the
> individual
> > fixtures inexpensive. We like the brighter, contrastier light for some
> > functions, like reading or working at the dining room table. At
> 20W each the
> > power consumption is not horrible.
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Mike O'Brien
> >
> > Mike O'Brien Photography
> > mikeoregon.zenfolio.com
> >

> > On Feb 22, 2013, at 8:07 AM, Eli Talking wrote:
> >
> > We have been encouraged to use CFL bulbs to save energy which reduces
> > pollution from the reduced production of power that it would take to feed
> > that same amount of light of incandescent bulbs.  However, the mercury
> > contained within is an environmental threat.  I felt incomplete when there
> > was no way to dispose of burnt out bulbs until Lowe's starting taking them
> > locally.  However, how should we clean up the inevitable breakage in the
> > home.
> >
> > http://www2.epa.gov/cfl/cleaning-broken-cfl
> >
> > describes the EPA's answer to that.
> >
> > My wife has picked up on this threat and has insisted we return to the
> > inefficient incandescent.
> >
> > Thoughts are appreciated on the response to the threat of broken cfl bulbs.
> >
> > Are LED lights ready to replace the common side lamps?
> >
> > Eli

>--
>

>b e n j a m i n p r a t t
>
>professor art+design
>the university of wisconsin stout

David Bergman  RA   LEED AP
DAVID BERGMAN ARCHITECT | FIRE & WATER LIGHTING
architecture . interiors . ecodesign . lighting . furniture
bergman at cyberg.com    www.cyberg.com
212 475 3106   twitter: @EcoOptimism

author - <http://ecooptimism.com/?page_id=58>Sustainable Design: A
Critical Guide
blog - <http://www.ecooptimism.com/>EcoOptimism
adjunct faculty - Parsons The New School for Design