[Greenbuilding] Greenwashing Mega-scam(s)

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Fri Feb 22 15:05:39 CST 2013

Don't ask me why 'cuz I don't know but the "CFL bulbs/mercury" thread made
me think of a story I saw this week about an initiative to redevelop a
former open pit mine (owned/operated by Bethlehem Steel, an Murrican co)
in Southeastern Ontario to turn it into a "storage battery five times the
size of Niagara Falls".

                     http://tinyurl.com/a8u2gl4

My curiosity was piqued because I suspected that the site was one that our
geology class visited on a high school field trip in the previous
millennium. If you enter the co-ords into Google Maps and select the
satellite image option you should be able to get a pretty good idea

                      44.478442, -77.659006

Like most people who live far away from the site, my interest was piqued
thinking that it might be a wonderful "Green" idea but upon some
reflection, I decided that it might just be another mega-scam like the
idea some fellow from the US had to dump a gazillion tonnes of ferrous
sulphate into the waters off the coast of BC, saying that it would help to
bring back fish habitat (or something like that).

I suspect that our BC listmembers would know more about that story. What
is most surprising to me is that the fertiliser scam actually was allowed
to go ahead.

This "storage battery from open pit mine hole" hasn't yet been implemented
but I wouldn't be surprised if it too is allowed to proceed.

But on the issue of CFLs and reverting back to incandescents to avoid the
proliferation of mercury as one poster (Eli ?) talked about ...

Here in Ontario, I'm pretty sure that the use of incandescents has been
banned by govt decree.

And someone mentioned using fluorescent tubes as light sabres ...

Although I have managed to avoid seeing the Hollywood movie in which they
were featured, I do have some sort of vague memory about seeing something
about how it is possible to illuminate a fluorescent tube held in one's
hand, without plugging something in. It may have been on a Brit program
that was called "Brainiac Science Abuse" or such-like. (I'm guessing that
the GBList poster who talked about light sabres didn't walk around with
ballasts and power cords attached.)

But enough of this Friday Foolishness. The mutts want to go for a run.

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom					AOD257

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")