[Greenbuilding] Foam installed between framing during framing

Peter Eide petereide at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 8 09:55:55 CST 2013

I have done this multiple times. I always cut the foam 1/2" to 1" short of the studs, glue it, fill the bay, and then foam around the edges to make sure it's sealed. This also allows you to use up most of your cut scraps since they don't have to perfectly fit the bays. I have a tip for cutting the foam that works great and creates little mess when cutting -- take a 3 or 4" putty knife and file one edge razor sharp, then use it with a straight edge to slice right through the foam for a perfect edge. It works great for all thicknesses, just remember to resharpen the edge from time to time.

Peter