[Greenbuilding] Recharging disposable Alkaline batteries

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Wed Jan 9 11:20:15 CST 2013

On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 11:28:41 -0500, John Salmen <terrain at shaw.ca> wrote:

> Canadian can purchase an equivalent (at much higher cost of course) at
> Rona
>
> http://www.rona.ca/en/alkaline-battery-charger?select_store=61020

I just had a look at the above and didn't see anything in the description
that mentioned it was designed to recharge disposable alkalines (which the
Rosewill unit is, as well as NiMHs).

Years ago I did purchase some rechargeable alkaline batteries and a couple
of different chargers specifically designed for them but I was finding
that the batteries were relatively short-lived due to their having a
tendency to leak, leaving crusty crud & corrosion in the devices in which
they were used.

It seemed that the "premium" grade alkaline rechargeables within the same
brand name failed earlier than the lower grade ones. Needless to say, I
quit using them . Fortunately, NiMHs came along shortly after.

Anyway (back to the point... mind wandering again) I'm wondering if the
$60 "eCO" charger is one that is intended for use with rechargeable
alkalines (ie NFG AFAIC) or whether it is in fact designed to deliver
different current levels in two or three stages to minimise the
possibility of overheating disposable alkalines to the point of leakage
and/or explosion as the Rosewill unit appears to do ?

> On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 9:22 AM, Sam Ewbank <g.l.ewbank at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Is the Rosewill battery charger available through Amazon anymore?

I just started typing "Rosewill alk" and my Opera browser's Google gave me
a "Rosewill Alkaline Battery Charger" option before I finished typing.

When I clicked on Google's auto-offering, one of the first hits was
"Newegg.ca"

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182206

... but unfortunately "Out of stock" currently.

Also, another of the hits mentioned that its price is $29.95 so it appears
that good ol' Reuben got us a pretty good deal back when he alerted us to
it ($9.95).

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom					AOD257

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")