[Greenbuilding] Green Building and Happiness.

Gennaro Brooks-Church - Eco Brooklyn info at ecobrooklyn.com
Mon Jan 14 11:41:34 CST 2013

I'm not sure if this is painfully obvious but in my competitive,
expensive and stressful New York construction market I am seeing that
one of the largest contributions to green building that I can make is
to simply give clients a stress free, enjoyable experience (while also
sticking to the most stringent environmental standards).

The definition of a green builder in my eyes is somebody who actively
tries to improve the worlds environmental situation. And I think the
cause of so much environmental destruction is caused by people who are
alienated, uneducated and unhappy.

You can't do much if your insides are toxic, whether that is toxic
organs, toxic thoughts or toxic relationships.

If I sit back and envision world peace I see people interacting
lovingly and happily with themselves, others and the world. And when
things are difficult (as life can be) people have the inner strength
to overcome the challenges in a respectful and compassionate way.

So from this I am increasingly seeing that a super efficient house
isn't worth much if the people in the house are alienated, uneducated
and unhappy. Toxic.

As they say, to change the world you must first see the change in
yourself, your immediate family, friends, community etc. So it makes
increasing sense for me to make my interaction with clients a
reflection of the above mentioned world peace.

The green building isn't just happening in the choice of wood you buy.
It is also happening as you reduce the toxic interaction with people
and place.

And it starts with my own inner peace, which is an ongoing process
full of success and setbacks. And it continues in my interaction with
clients. The goal is one of coming out of the job not only with a
green house but a green relationship - free of toxins, destructive
ways of speaking and acting, and full of sustainable things that allow
the relationship (with ourselves and others) to grow and be full of
life.

Like I said, this may be obvious. But my evolution as a green builder
who constantly seeks whole system connections has led me to see the
connection between my inner peace and my outer work of swinging a
hammer. For me this has been profound and life changing.

Just saying.

Gennaro Brooks-Church
Director, Eco Brooklyn Inc.
Cell: 1 347 244 3016 USA