[Greenbuilding] Doorbell options

RT archilogic at yahoo.ca
Wed Jan 16 18:59:29 CST 2013

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 18:04:57 -0500, David Wentling <dpwentling at ymail.com>
wrote:

> Now they are looking at transformers and doorbells. We have had limited
> success with wireless units. Interference or corrosion issues have been
> some problems.
>
> Is there anyone on the list, that had good stories with alternatives?
>
> Any experience with rechargeable batteries?

Around my neighbourhood, dogs seem to be the most reliable annunciators.

In particular, it seems that Black Labs are the most effective in that
they seem to have the ability to hear someone approaching from as far away
as 500 ft or more and seem to be able to distinguish between "regulars"
who don't need to be announced ... and strangers, who elicit a response
that is capable of waking the near-dead.

And therein lies the problem with dogs as door annunciators. There are
times when it's not convenient to have the Hounds of Hell unleashed at
full volume.

OTOH, my Malamute never barks and would be delighted to have people show
up at the door -- more playthings for him.

I used to utilise programmable wireless door chimes for an elderly person
whose mobility had deteriorated to the point of needing assistance to get
up and move around.

Sending units were placed beside her favourite chair, by her bedside and
in the bathrooms and receivers were placed throughout the house and out in
the shop so that assistance could be summoned without fail.

I tried several systems -- senders that used 3 volt lithium button
batteries, 1.5 volt AAA batteries (I used NiMHs) and A23 12 volt batteries.

The most reliable sending units were the ones utilising the 12 volt
batteries. The ones using AAA and button batteries were so unreliable,
unpredictable and quirky as to be useless.

The problem though is that rechargeable A23-size 12 volt batteries and
chargers aren't very common, if they exist at all.

Perhaps for a doorbell system used as such, the sending units could be
wired to a 12 volt car battery (which is rechargeable and for which
photovoltaic trickle chargers are readily available ?

--
=== * ===
Rob Tom					AOD257

< A r c h i L o g i c  at  Y a h o o  dot  c a  >
(manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "reply")