[Greenbuilding] mini-split system

nick pine nick at early.com
Fri Jan 18 08:33:59 CST 2013

Sacie Lambertson <sacie.lambertson at gmail.com> wrote:

>Marc Rosenbaum... [says his heating costs came to $250/year.]

A 12'x32'x28' tall sunspace heats my 1820 stone farmhouse well on sunny
days. After lots of rumination and a $6K quote for a 1500 gallon hot water
tank for cloudy day heat storage, I got a SEER 26 Mitsubishi MUZFE12NA
mini-split ($1750, including the indoor unit and 25' preflared line set) and
a few PVs with yearly net metering for cloudy days. Marc has espoused this
solution for many years with no solar air heaters, and it's finally starting
to make economic sense with air heaters, IMO, now that mini-splits work down
to -13 F and PVs are cheaper (67 cents/watt for the modules and 40 cents for
a string inverter, before the 30% fed tax credit.) This heat pump costs
about 25% more to run than natural gas at our local electric and gas rates.
With a frugal PV ground mount installation, it could cost 4 times less than
natural gas heat.

Page 3 of
http://www.mitsubishipro.com/media/214712/muz-fe09-18na_service_obh543a_9-10.pdf
says Mitsubishi's MUZFE12NA heat pump can supply 13.6K Btu/h with a 10.6
HSPF (a
3.1 COP) at a 17 F outdoor temp. Page 4 lists the -13 F minimum outdoor
temp. Page 11 shows a 55% heating capacity (7500 Btu/h) at 10 F, with a 600
watt total energy consumption, ie a 7500/3.41/600 = 3.7 COP. It makes 13.6K
Btu/h with 1 kW at 45 F, for a 13.6/3.41/1000 = 4.0 COP. How did they
calculate a 10.6 HSPF?

The inverter versions seem to be super-efficient with light loads because
the heat exchangers are a lot more efficient with small flows.

See also NREL's 2011 study of Fujitsu and Mitsubishi ductless minisplits.
http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy11osti/52175.pdf

>All sorts of caveats apply to his situation, including the quite high cost
>of installation.

The mechanical and electrical installation was not expensive, with a wooden
shelf on the wall and UF wire stapled to the house wall instead of conduit.
It was hard to find an HVAC artist to purge it. Some said they would not
work on equipment they had not installed. Others wanted $300 to do it,
although it takes less than 1 hour with about $400 worth of equipment, eg a
$212 BluVac micron vacuum gauge https://trutechtools.com/BluVac and a $155
2-stage vacuum pump
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O1C47M/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B003DKT2J4&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1WG77BTZS2ZKPRRHFV9T I
finally got someone to purge it for $112.

The installation instructions say:

Section 4.1 Purging procedures and leak test

1. Remove service port cap of stop valve on the side of the outdoor unit gas
pipe. [Similar to a Schrader automotive tire valve
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrader_valve]
2. Connect gauge manifold valve and vacuum pump to service port of stop
valve. [We only need a manifold gauge to add refrigerant.]
3. Run the vacuum pump 15 minutes or more.
4. Check the vacuum with the gauge manifold valve, then close it and shut
off the vacuum pump.
5. Leave as it is for 1 or 2 minutes. Make sure pointer gauge manifold valve
remains in the same position. Confirm that pressure gauge shows -30 "Hg. [Or
use the micron vacuum gauge to make sure the pressure is 500 microns max and
doesn't rise fast when it is isolated from the vacuum pump.]
6. Quickly remove gauge manifold valve from service port of stop valve.
7. After refrigerant pipes are connected and evacuated, fully open all stop
valves on both sides of gas pipe and liquid pipe.
8. Charge the prescribed amount of refrigerant if needed. [No additional
refrigerant needed, with a 25' line set.]
9. Tighten cap of service port.
10. Conduct a leak test.

Mitsubishi tech support says the leak test (eg soap solution on 4 flare
connections) is not necessary when using the micron gauge. Any condensation
(water) in the line set will evaporate at 500 microns, and the pressure
won't continue to rise fast after the water evaporates unless there is a
leak.

The outdoor unit is precharged with 41 ounces of R410A refrigerant which
flows through the lines and the indoor unit when the valves are opened in
step 7. The tech support person suggested doing step 6 after step 7 (with
the stop valves partially open), which would allow a tiny amount of
refrigerant to leak out but would avoid allowing air to leak into the vacuum
when the hose is disconnected from the Schrader valve.

Most HVAC techs fill systems with nitrogen at 150-400 psig and check to see
if the pressure falls much over an hour or overnight, using an analog
manifold gauge meter, which has a very low resolution compared to a micron
gauge, eg 2% vs 20,000 steps. And this requires nitrogen, and it takes a
long time...

Nick