[Greenbuilding] Green Roof under deck

David Wentling dpwentling at ymail.com
Fri Jan 25 10:33:12 CST 2013

There are proven systems with 3" soil depths with sedum systems. Conservation Technology out of Baltimore offers a thin, light weight system. To protect the glass deck in summer from being a greenhouse, consider using outdoor carpet as a shade system. Attach for wind control. Indirect sun should be OK for most sedums.

You stated that the deck would be open on two sides and attached to walls on two sides. Consider a 2" gap along the walls to encourage ventilation. Plan for uplift loads!!

David Wentling
ConservFirst.com

________________________________
 From: Tim Brown <tim34 at optonline.net>

I've  followed  some  of  your  posts   and
like  your  approach  to  work  in  the  big  apple.
Feisty  clientele   me  thinks.
I'm 25  years  in  business  doing   roof  gardens  in  Manhattan  and  a  few    in
Brooklyn.

When   you  say  3"  green  roof  are  you  referring to  soil  depth?
This   sounds  a   bit  to  shallow .  I  believe  the  light    version  of
green  roof design  calls  for   double  that  depth  and   only allows  for   use  of
sedum  type  planting   ( no  glass).   12"  soil depth  gives  greater  options for  planting .

Covering  with  glass might  work  in   winter  but
not  in  summer  for  sure.     You  are   sort  of  describing  a  cold  frame
set  up.

Weight  issues  are always  a  concern  especially  on  brownstones  unless
you  are  reworking roof  structure.

Hard    to  give   feed  back  with  out  some  more  clarification.
If  decking    is  up  2'  off  roof   surface    than  you have  good  depth  for   planting.