[Greenbuilding] Helmut Ziehe - Founder of International Institute of Building Biology and Ecology passes away

Douglas E Lamb douglaslamb at columbus.rr.com
Wed Jan 30 16:57:23 CST 2013

Gennnaro,

>From what I gathered IBE is a purist philosophy devoted to life, and
buildings in conjunction with how everything can be intra and xtra-relatd to
ecology, environment and electromagnetism. I believe your instincts are
correct regarding what your knowledge base and practices in sustainable
"green" LEED based construction may already be enough to accomplish the same
cognate. Though I must admit I'm tempted to take the Architectural Course
($70.00) just to wrap my head around pushing the envelope in ecological
terms related to building design. I keep thinking of the AJ Lewis Center
facilities @ Oberlin College, located in northwestern Ohio. That place rocks
with ecology. Here is a link to site info about the place.
http://buildingdashboard.net/oberlin/ajlc/#/oberlin/ajlc/,
http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy03osti/31516.pdf

I've been there and it is a magnificent example of sustainable (ecological)
design, planning and construction centered around LEED requirements. Not
IBE. Although, what was accomplished could easily be considered in the order
of IBE principals.  It is a complete cognate in purist form of building use,
function and is about as completely self-sustaining as any thing I've ever
seen or been in to date. I spoke to the Project Architect @ McDonough's firm
in Virginia. He was very pleased with the outcome, and the client. The
client, Oberlin School of Environmental Studies is ecstatic about the place.
It truly is a laboratory in the ecological and social sciences.

Regards,
Doug Lamb
614.323.2005
douglaslamb at columbus.rr.com