[Greenbuilding] taping plywood seams vs. vapor barrier

John Salmen terrain at shaw.ca
Mon Jul 1 13:08:17 CDT 2013

Weather has changed here. We seem to get more intense periods of rain with
limited periods for drying followed by sun - so we have saturated exterior
materials with increased potential for sun driven moisture.

We also have rainscreens so ideally we want a high permeability, non
perforated wrb. Tar paper can work as it can hold and release some moisture
but I think its worth avoiding any potential of a leaching material.

I still think it goes back to redundancy 'predictive leakage'. Taping seams
on the sheathing layer (has added benefit of limiting osb edge swelling),
high perm wrb, rainscreen and then some material that can survive being
saturated (for us in bc).

I am a bit leery of zip sheathing only because water failure is more about
flashings and penetrations and there seems more potential for flashings to
fail.