[Greenbuilding] Insulating 140 Year Old Wood Framed Brick Facade Building

Sam Ewbank g.l.ewbank at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 19:12:58 CDT 2013

Apologies if this is not clear and succinct but I'm typing this on my phone
that isn't designed for long replies.
Thanks for the input Lauren but with no sheething between the studs and the
brick I'd worry about the cellulose being packed up against the brick then
getting wet and setting due to moisture migration. Do you think the
insulation would allow the brick to dry?
One solution might be installing rigid insulation between the studs and
then filling the cavity with cellulose. I can't think of a good way to get
netting or sheething between the studs and the brick due to the 1' on
center studs and the 20d cut nails used as brick ties.
Another would be installing rockwool batts between the studs and then a
rigid insulation in place of the sheething. At least the rockwool is
hydrophobic and won't absorb water from what I've read. Both ideas have
drawbacks. The first is removing the rest of the interior sheething and
lathe but is likely necessary for insulting properly. Installing rigid
insulation between the studs would be labor intensive.
I guess another solution would be to install multiple layers of rigid
insulation with taped and sealed edges and joints over the top of the
sheething or studs.
The owners are planning to eventually install gypsum plaster as the
finished wall covering.
There is no knob and tube wiring.

Any other ideas or solutions to a similar situation?

Sam

On Jun 12, 2013 7:27 PM, "LarenCorie" <LarenCorie at axi