[Greenbuilding] voluminous wall cavities - limits to what one can reasonably dense pack with a cellulose blower?

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Sat Jun 22 14:20:49 CDT 2013

On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 7:48 AM, Topher <topher at greenfret.com> wrote:

> What sort of access will you have to the spaces when you are doing the
> fill?

My plan was to fill from the top of these not very tall walls, though holes
predrilled in plywood that spans the two wall sections.

> 1-1/4" gap sounds like the worst possible gap, wide enough to let a lot of
> material through, not big enough to let pressure through to achieve dense
> pack.

I assume you mean if one did not use any mesh?

> My thought would be to separate by bays instead of between interior and
> exterior (as that only fixes the problem on one side).

That was my plan, but I guess I didn't explain it very well.

> Other options include, alternating the mesh between interior and exterior,

I'm not following.

> or offsetting the truss from the load bearing wall (which helps reduce
> thermal bridging) and then alternating.

Yes, but then I'm not sure how I'd separate the bays adequately.