[Greenbuilding] voluminous wall cavities - limits to what one can reasonably dense pack with a cellulose blower?

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Sat Jun 22 14:23:31 CDT 2013

On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 8:51 AM, RT <archilogic at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 11:16:32 -0400, Sam Ewbank <g.l.ewbank at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>  Would a 2x4 interior load bearing wall be sufficient? That would create a
>> gap of 3 1/4 inches between the interior and exterior walls.
>>

> Actually, a 2x4 @16" o/c bearing wall + 2x3 @ 24" o/c curtain wall would
> be more than sufficient and the gap between the two could easily be made to
> be 3.5" (ie to accommodate a later of 4" batts) or 5.5" ( to accommodate 6"
> batts) or 7" (ie 2 layers of 4" batts laid perpendicular to each other) etc.

I like to overbuild things. No batts; blown in cellulose is my preferred
material anymore.

> I assumed that Reuben was restricted to 2x6 because of a retro-fit of
> as-built walls but not sure why to the 10.25" wall thickness.

Yes retrofit, but not restricted. I'm using salvaged lumber throughout, and
2x6 seemed a lot stouter. We have to think about earthquakes around here
too. More material & less air under my house; or at least that was my
thinking.